Tuesday 11 October 2011

THE ROLE OF HOMEOPATHY IN CRICKET INJURIES' TREATMENT

Hi guys!  I hope your week has been better than mine! 

So far I have managed to upset the next door neighbours with my Irish harp playing: they say that it frightened their cat - it's been missing since last Thursday. I also got involved in a brawl over a game of darts at the pub, and have been feeling really sick since Saturday, throwing up at least twice a day – courtesy of the Nux vomica and Sulphur combination for detox that I’ve taken!   When I asked my cousin she said that I was doing really well, that I was detoxing!  I wonder if this is her way of punishing me for my last week’s comment about the rugby team…   
Okay I have to admit I was wrong about the
Rugby! The England team messed it up
completely for themselves, for their coach and
for their country. 
I thought that my cousin would be really pleased with my informative piece on that book - the BNF, but the next day I had her shouting on the phone… there is no pleasing some people! 

She says we should all be united against the NHS cuts, fighting for more services and choices to be available to the patients, and that I should've highlighted the benefits of offering homeopathy and other complementary therapies on the NHS, letting the patients make an informed decision about their treatment! And that I should not have exposed the way the NHS and the drugs industry connive against the patients best interests by plying them with unnecessary medication!
See what she is like?  A good looking lass but a fiery temper if you ask me… first tells me that I can write about whatever I like and when I do, she hits the roof! 
So I only got this week to redeem myself before she comes back from France… luckily yesterday I come across something interesting:
I found the Undercover Homeopath’s Cricket
Homeopathy Kit. 

That’s right, she used to go out with a cricket coach a few years ago and I remember her saying that she was treating the team for sport injuries.
As every Cricket fan knows Cricket injuries are quite frequent, so much so that both Australia and England have developed a program for prevention and management of those.
India’s legendary coach TA Sekhar has called for a similar program to be implemented by the Indian Cricket Board.  He is well aware of the stresses fast bowlers go through and has campaigned for the creation of a complete muscular-skeletal screening of every bowler playing for India as well as for the under 19yrs team.
I’m with him on that!  I think that a good Physiotherapy Sports program will need to be in place, I also think it should include a qualified Homeopath. I've heard my cousin say on several occasions that India has some of the best homeopaths in the world, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find one who is also a Cricket lover. 

Apparently homeopathy can do a lot for preventing and also for treating some of the most frequent Cricket injuries.


My cousin has used it quite successfully at small scale but the same principles could be applied by a major institution such as the Indian Cricket Board.    

Here are some of the most common injuries, their conventional treatment and what the Undercover Homeopath suggests:

Preventative Treatment:

Muscle-Skeletal strengthening:

A combination of Cal Phos and Calc Fluor 3X tissue salts to be taken alternated twice a week during rest periods and increased to alternated daily doses during play season.

Stiffness, tears and sprains prevention:

Rhus-Tox 30C one dose two hours before the match, this can be taken again at two hours interval particularly if weather is wet and cold.

Repetitive strain injury prevention:

For players who have had recurrent injuries in the past, Ruta 30C one dose ½ hr. before the match.

Muscle soreness after the match:

Arnica 30C up to three doses at two hour intervals if required.

Fast Bowlers

For preventing spinal injuries due to excessive stress of the Pars Interarticularis from the simultaneous backwards bending, rotation, and side bending of the trunk:

Sycamore Seed 1M one dose twelve hours before the match and another dose at the end of the match. 

INJURIES

Low Back Pain

Homeopathic Treatment:

A combination of Ruta, Rhus-Tox, and Hypericum 200C to increase mobility, reduce pain and repair damaged tissues.

If fracture is suspected: Arnica 200C to treat shock, reduce pain and bruising, and once conventional  medical examination and procedures have been observed you can also give Symphytum 30C regularly to help speed up bone healing.  Also Calc Phosphoricum and Calc Fluorica Tissue Salts protocol as mentioned on fracture prevention.


Hamstring Strain

Hamstring strain caused by sudden sprinting activities such as bowling, taking a quick single or fielding a ball- the hamstrings are stretched beyond their limits and the tearing of the muscle tissue occurs.  

Homeopathic treatment:

Ammonia Muriaticum 30C together with the conventional treatment for this which is the RICE protocol - rest, ice and compression and elevation. 

Side Strain

A Side Strain is a frequent injury in bowlers on the non-bowling arm side as a result of the contraction of the muscle on that side while the bowling arm is cocked for bowling. It is a tear of the Internal Oblique, the External Oblique, or the Transversalis fascia at the point where they attach to the four bottom ribs.

Homeopathic treatment:

Ruta 30C and Hypericum 30C three times a day.  An Ice Pack can also be applied for twenty minutes every two hours, and a Cohesive Compression Bandage should be applied to limit bleeding in the tissues.

Shoulder Pain

Shoulder pain is also common in cricket due to the repeated action of throwing and bowling, causing damage of the Rotator Cuff muscles: Supraspinatus, Infraspinatus, Subscapularis and Teres Minor, the small muscles around the shoulder joint.

Homeopathic treatment:

Ruta 200C and Calendula 200C three doses at a twenty minute interval initially, reduced to once a day for the following week.

That’s all from me guys!  This time I’m going to resist the temptation of barracking for England – I don’t want to get on the wrong foot with anyone else, especially with my lovely cousin –  I’m going to wish both India and England the best.  I’m just going to seat back and enjoy the matches… that is if I survive this “detox” program I got myself into!

Yours,

Cousin Ben