Monday 7 November 2011

Homeopathy and The Occupy at St Paul's

This week the Undercover Homeopath goes out in the field in search a homeopathic connection and ends up volunteering to run a free Homeopathy clinic!

It’s all very well and good to support a cause from the comfort of your home – and don’t take me wrong – a lot of good can come from that...
whether you are donating a Tweet for a good cause, making a financial contribution, blogging or posting on your network:
making others aware of the wrongs that can be put right. Those are all very valid contributions to better the world we live in.

But today, I decided that it was no longer an option for me to just watch the Occupy movement from a distance, so
I went down to St Paul’s in London
to see the camping site and to mingle with the protesters.
This is what I found:  a busy group of people of all ages spending their day discussing urgent community and social issues, getting themselves busy with the daily run of the camp, organising themselves, undertaking  responsibility for the orderly maintenance of their site as well as making a stance for social and economic injustice. 
It seems to me that “Occupy, occupy!” is having a huge task as “Organise, organise!”

And contrary to what I have been reading on the Media about lack of organisation and respect towards their community – what I saw was a very well  ran camp. Various committee meetings were taking place throughout the morning, the first one I saw was the one with the Church representative, but there were several happening at the same time. 
There are also two general assemblies a day to give people the opportunity to put forward any concerns or issues that need sorting, and where everyone is invited to vote on practical issues to do with the camp itself such as: recycling, re-using of items, alternative energy sources for the running of the camp, etc.
There are volunteer groups running the library, the re-cycling centre, the first aid, the hot drinks, the donations, the wellbeing centre – which includes Meditation and Healing – and it will also be including Homeopathy within the next few days…you guessed: I’ve volunteered a couple of hours a week!
Off course with all the groups, and especially with a group so diverse as this there are also some unpleasant characters that infiltrate in order to causing disruption…but I didn’t see any today. 

And I didn’t see people with masks… but I respected their right to privacy by avoiding photographing individuals and focusing more on the protest itself – their posters and banners.  I made an exception for this chap  who wants to raise awareness for the prospect of an attack on Iran, and who stated that he is very happy to be photographed along with his poster!

Oh! By the way… these guys need blankets, thick socks, hot water bottles, mugs, and permanent markers – so if you live in London or are coming over for a holiday – don’t forget to pop by! 
The cold and wet British weather is getting to their bones and joints – as I was sitting at their general assembly I could see all sorts of creaking joints, neck and shoulder stiffness from rough sleep in cold and wet concrete.  Remedies anyone? I’ll be stocking up on Rhus-Tox, Ruta, Causticum  and Bryonia for starters…